Friday, March 18, 2011

Defining Family





































































I keep hearing "Shoot what you know, you know it better than anyone" in all of my classes. So, this quarter I'm going to take that advice and photograph my sorority. When I tell people I am a sister in a sorority I get the same confused looks or questions "Why would you ever do that? Why would you pay for friends?" and while this is an arguement I hate getting into, I cannot blame them. Greek life has always had this weird shade of secrecy but when people ask me what it is, I simply respond with they are my family. So I'm trying to define family.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!

    This is the quote I give people when they ask why I joined DphiE... I'm not even sure where this quote came from.
    People ask why I am in a sorority and I try to explain all the things a sorority is that they cannot see. A sorority is more than letters on a sweatshirt, I say. More than traditional songs, a gold pin, rituals, and obligation, or a way of life. A sorority is learning about people, a sorority is giving without expecting a return. A sorority is earning respect from others, as well as for yourself. A sorority will not solve all your problems. But I have made good friends and found confidence there to help me take life one step at a time.

    P.S. You have an amazing eye for photography! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete