Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How is a family defined? This is the question that runs through my mind when thinking about the Doughtys. What makes a family special or different? I have only spent two days with this family, and the love they share is clearer than that of any family I have ever seen.

When Scott Doughty was 9 months old, he went into a hypoglycemic coma that stopped the progression of his brain. He is now 27 years old and cognitively, he is the same as he was at 9 months. He has no verbal skills and his only way of communicating is through physical force.

In a situation where the majority of families would have the child institutionalized or put into a group home, Scott's parents, Tom and Chris have not only kept him and cared for him themselves, but they have gone above and beyond. In 2001, the Doughty's added Julia to their family. Julia is a 63 year old woman with severe down syndrome and is currently in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

I have not spent nearly enough time with them to truly understand their situation, but I am more than just excited to. I have never felt this inspired by a family or subject in my entire life and I cannot wait to learn their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment